Worker’s Music Association
This substantial collection of printed and manuscript materials was purchased by Janey Buchan from Dave Cope at Left on the Shelf, and has been lodged with Giving Voice Workshops for listing and making available to researchers.
The collection comes mainly from the papers of John Miller. Miller joined the WMA in 1940, conducted the WMA Singers from 1956 to 1962, and served as secretary, treasurer and finally as archivist. Some of the songsheets in the collection come from another source, but have been merged with Miller’s materials.
The collection consists of (in a very summary form):
- WMA publications, including sheet music, song books, concert programmes, and general publications
- Other sheet music and song books from organisations such as London Labour Choral Union,
Workers’ Music League, ILP, Co-operative Party, and the CPGB
- Materials by, and pertaining to, Alan Bush
- Magazines and serials, including a long run of Sing, Sing Out,
Recorded Folk Music (complete run), Folk Scene, Chapbook, etc.
- WMA archive material including catalogues, bibliographies of political song, conference papers,
cuttings and articles, correspondence of John Miller, photographs of WMA opera and singing groups, etc.
N.B. A full listing of WMA materials can be found on the Janey Buchan Political Song Collection Finding Aid.